4 medium zucchini squash, washed and stems removed
4 - 6 medium ripe tomatoes, washed and stem removed
1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 pound bacon strips
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 tab. finely minced fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Generously butter an 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice squash and tomatoes into 3/4 inch thick slices. Separate onion slices into rings.
- Layer zucchini slices on the bottom of the buttered baking dish to cover. Lay tomatoes over zucchini slices. Sprinkle the tomato layer with 1 tab. minced basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer onion rings over the tomatoes. Sprinkle half the cheddar cheese over the onion layer.
- Repeat layers one more time, ending with cheddar cheese. Lay the strips of bacon over the top of the assembled casserole. Cover with foil and bake in the oven until the zucchini is soft and easily pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Remove the ratatouille from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Lift the foil at one corner of the pan and working with oven mitts, to hold the foil over the ingredients (I often use a large pot lid also to help hold the ingredients in place) drain the accumulated liquid from the ratatouille.
- Heat the broiler to high and place the ratatouille under the heat until the bacon is crisped. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and fresh cracked pepper. Serves 8 - 10.