Thursday, May 28, 2020

Mint Lemonade (Jordanian)


(To print this recipe, click on the the recipe title above and scroll to the bottom of the
recipe to the green print button.)

       Prepare to be impressed and refreshed! If you make no other drink this summer, let it be this one!   Lemonade made with fresh lemons has always seemed so refreshing to me.  But I discovered a version which takes the basics to a whole new, easy and quick level.  I truly don't think I've ever had a drink more refreshing.  This discovery was made while sitting in a small cafe on a side road off of Manger Square in Bethlehem.  I was waiting for a large order of felafel sandwiches and schwarma for a group of twenty people we had taken to the Middle East, who were occupied shopping in the Olive Wood shops.  My sister was out in front with the felafel maker who had let her take a turn scooping the chickpea paste into the felafel press and dropping it into the large wok shaped pan of hot oil.  I couldn't bear to watch my sister who has never cooked! (I suppose he put her felafel balls in our order.)
        I took a seat inside to pay the bill where I observed a green drink being prepared at the counter. It was the green that made me inquisitive and after troubling the waiter, asking what it was and being told it was mint lemonade, I felt obligated to try some.  The instantaneous burst of tart lemon and bold mint sweetened with just the right amount of sugar convinced me that this was the singular most wonderful lemonade I had ever tasted!
        And so, as we continued our journey, at every restaurant, I ordered mint lemonade and eventually had the entire tour group ordering it.  It took another visit with another group back to the Middle East where I finally watched closely to see how it was done.  An obliging waiter prepared a glass at the Dead Sea Marriott Hotel and I was able to witness first-hand how it was created.  I call this Jordanian Mint Lemonade, for though I first tasted it in Bethlehem, we have discovered it everywhere in Jordan among a host of lemonade stand entrepreneurs.


Mint Lemonade (Jordanian)
1  cup simple syrup  (see below)
1/2  cup fresh lemon juice
1  cup loosely packed mint leaves, cleaned and picked
           from stems
2 cups ice chips or cubes

Simple Syrup:  In a small saucepan, combine 2/3 cups sugar with 2/3 cups water.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and allow to boil for about 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a blender, pour simple syrup, lemon juice and add mint leaves.  Blend on high speed for about 2 minutes.  While running blender, add ice through top feeder and blend another minute or so until ice is blended and mixture is frothy.


Serve immediately with sprig of mint and lemon slice, if desired.  Makes 4 cups lemonade.

 (Serves 4-5)



              4 simple ingredients: simple syrup,
                        lemon juice, mint & ice

 Mix ingredients in blender until smooth and frothy

                                                                                                            
                                                                     
                                                                   Serve immediately with lemon slice 
                                                                 and mint sprigs

 PERSNICKETY  NOTES:
**The lemonade should be served immediately while it is still frothy and slushy for the very best experience.

**Now for the super quick, not quite as tasty method (a Susan Coon inspiration)   Mix 1 large can of frozen lemonade with 4 cups water.  Add lemonade, a handful of mint and ice to blender and blend until frothy.  Taste for mint and ice and add more of either to taste.

**This is a great recipe if mint has taken over your garden.  You can hack it back and use it as quickly as it grows all summer long!   Did I mention herbal mint tea?  Also, Jordanian, when you want something warm, and often served at the end of big meals.  Place 2 -3 cups water in a pan, add 2 - 3 bushy sprigs of fresh mint and allow to boil for 2 -3 minutes.  Turn down heat to low and allow to steep for another 5 minutes.  Strain out the the mint leaves and sweeten with sugar to taste.  (to my grandchildren, it's all about the sugar)


No comments:

Post a Comment